Friday, October 17, 2014

Mount Merapi: My First Fascinating Experience Climbing a Mountain

Finally, on the Saturday (11/10/14) ago, I had the opportunity to climb a real mountain. Previously i only climb the mountain but not too high. This opportunity began when Herman, my workmate boyfriends says that he wants to clim Mount Merapi with the member of  Kaskus Yogyakarta. At that time, i say that i would join them too. Because it was some planning involved but always fail for several reasons. I would not missing this opportunity then.
Greeting from Merapi

We (10 peoples) set off from Jogja on a motorbike around 8pm passing lane Muntilan - Ketep - Selo. There was a small disturbance while on the move. There's one of the motor that turns us the tire leaking around the area after Ketep. Because it may be quite night and there is no more tire repairman who is open, we finally agreed to leave the motor at the home of the residents around there. Fortunately there are some of us who took the motor alone, so my friends who got problem can ride with him.
Mt. Merbabu just next to the Merapi
After nearly two hours, finally we arrived in Selo which is the first post for the climbers who will climb to the top of Mt. Merapi. Look very crowded at that night, probably because of saturday night. So many are willing to rise to the top.
Pasar Bubrah and the peak of Merapi in the night
After taking a break and warming up in New Selo. Finally at 22:30 we start the journey to the top. And true, the trip is quite solid. Because it was night, the headlamp in my head not too able to look around. When i go down, i know that the route is very dusty. Lucky me, i always carry a mask.Another advantage to climb during the night for amateur climbers like me is not discouraging. Can imagine if i climb to the peak at noon and saw the route, it might be discouraging me.Takes about 5 hours to reach Pasar Bubrah. Gratefully due to frequent cycling, my breath is still strong enough to survive for a fairly long walk. The Pasar Bubrah itself is a plain under the peak of Merapi. This place was already filled with tents of the climbers.
Pasar Bubrah in teh morning
Maybe I was unlucky on the first climb, the sunrise that I've been waiting for did not look too good because of cloud cover. But I still can feel the satisfaction of seeing stout Mount Merapi that stands firmly in front of my eyes. Usually I see this mountain only from a city, and the mountain peak is just a few inches in front of me.
waiting for the sunrise
No sour feelings to climb the mountain again though tiredness with legs tremble accompanying the trip to the top. Because the beauty of the view from the top can replace all the fatigue. So i am ready to go to another mountain.




No comments:

Post a Comment